date_range Published 09 Jul 2018

A buzzer-beater from Hunter Kindley helped the Andy Bay Falcons to a crucial win in Dunedin club basketball.

The point guard pulled up from 2m behind the three-point line and banked in the shot to claim a 92-89 win over the City Rise Bombers.

The Falcons clawed their way back after trailing 89-83 with less than a minute to play.

However, the Bombers were unable to execute down the stretch.

Matt Stevenson scored from an offensive rebound, before he and Tom Davison both made two free throws each to tie the scores.

At the other end the Bombers had the chance to go two up with four seconds left, but former Falcons guard Fraser Beck was unable to convert.

After a scrap for the ball, Stevenson came up with the rebound and found Kindley, who hit his third three-pointer of the quarter.

Despite the comeback, the Falcons had led most of the way.

The Bombers led 17-12 early and called a timeout.

The Falcons that came out of it better, though, pushing in transition and getting to the hoop to go on a 13-0 run. Stevenson was key through the period, scoring 11 of his 35 points in the first quarter.

Davison’s speed was equally important, the guard finishing with a cool 15 points.

The Falcons led 27-21 at the break and extended the margin to 16 at one point, before the Bombers brought it back to 48-35. However, the Bombers were able to slow down the Falcons, and also began to hit shots themselves.

The duo of Steve Robinson and Olly Smith — who scored 25 and 20 points respectively — both began doing damage as the lead evaporated. It closed  up at 70-70, before the Bombers jumped ahead to lead 80-73, leaving the Falcons to fight their way back late in the game.

It was a day of upsets, as the Magic Lions beat the St Kilda Saints 94-75.

A big second quarter was key for the Lions, as Tai Porima-Flavell scored 17 of the team’s 27 in that period, while the Saints managed just 13. That gave the Lions a 47-30 halftime lead.

The Saints stuck with them through the second half, but they were unable to get close enough to threaten a genuine comeback.

Porima-Flavell finished with 27 points, while Nathan Hanna added 17.

In the late game Benoit Hayman scored 55 points in his final game before heading overseas as the Mid City Magic thrashed Varsity 101-38.

Story: Otago Daily Times